Although callously removed from Paul Rowen's lucrative parliamentary payroll, he remains outwardly loyal. Dave warns he is back in Heywood and will make sure Cllr Rush retains his seat. That is Peter Rush, the landlord, who lets Dave stay in one of his abodes.
Mysterious Dave has also been making some coy threats - on a late night forum posting he threatens that he will teach the Labour party "one last lesson".
So what stroke of genius is Dave planning?
Not something to top Spanker Cyril's 80th birthday bash?
A charidee pardee for a party that lacks charity?
175 years of Liberalism - putting Rochdale on the map?
That could explain the odd press releases about John Bright's statute and some unsubtle similarities with press releases from Rochdale & Littleborough peace group.
175 years of Liberalism?
That leaky vessel that is the Rochdale Lib Dem and their secret comrades aren't too happy with what is planned. They worry it could put them in the spotlight and allow some very awkward questions to be asked.
What have been some of the highlights in the past 175 years?
- Freemasonry, gangsterism and Rochdale Reform Buildings?
- "Lifelong liberal" Cyril Smith doing the hokey cokey with his party membership over the years?
- Serious unresolved allegations of sex abuse - Cambridge House and Knowl View School to name just two.
- David Steel's infamous quote published in Private Eye defending Cyril Smith ""All we are talking about are a few spanked bottoms"
- Long standing planning corruption- no word of a Lye?
- a backstabbing, bullying cult of personality?
- Chief Whip Cyril Smith briefing the press about his then leader Jeremy Thorpe (and dead dog Rinka).
- "loyal" Liberal Cyril Smith undermining David Steel with attempts to form and lead a new "democractic" party in the early 1980's. Did this help the Tories and cause bitter divisions in the nacent alliance between the SDP and Liberals?
- Lloyd George? Insider share dealing shenanigans with the Marconi wireless companies? Corrupt sale of peerages? A Prime Minister during the bloodiest war in human history? Enforced conscription in Ireland 1917? Disgusting opinions in 1934 about the right for the air force to "bomb n*ggers" in British colonies? Adolf Hitler, described by Lloyd George in 1936 as "the greatest living German"?
Poor Dave is having a spot of bother getting key note speakers to attend the shameless Rochdale bash to promote local Lib Dems in the run up to the election.
No wonder. Do they really want to be associated with Cyril Smith and Paul Rowen?
With all those who "unfortunately can't find room in their diary", what sort of party is Dave going to have?
Cheese and Onion Pie followed by Cyril Smith, Paul Rowen and Jimmy Cricket as a comedy trio?
Or could Mark Oaten give a reading from his new book "Screwing Up"?
Perhaps "shocked" Charles Edward Lord would come to chew over the fat about the old days?
...and a whip round from "businessmen" supporters with cash to go to that shadowy unincorporated association, linked to 175 years of liberalism - the "Cobden Bright Trust"?